Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Procraftination

Procraftination has two meanings:

1. Crafting when you should be doing something else, i.e. knitting when you should be practicing piano (clears throat loudly).

2. Doing everything in the world BUT the crafting you are supposed to be doing.

Well, I am not the knitter in the family, so guess which one I am doing?  Procrastination or procraftination is something we all do.  When we see something that seems to be too big to tackle we attempt to go around it instead of through.  One of the hardest things to do is see the steps that make procrastination the harder path.  Everyone knows that taking it one step at a time makes a large project smaller and easier to do; it is figuring out those steps and making sure they get done in a timely manner that is hard and makes putting it off until later seem the easier thing.

There are several steps to fixing procrastination of any kind.  Often though we know those steps (as I do) it is actually applying them that is the hard part. Getting off of your ass to do something that is going to take a long time to fruition is HARD.  As mentioned, many times already in this blog, I am a poet and a painter and a photographer as well as a crafter and a writer of fiction and creator of games (I know it's bad English but it makes the point).  When I am writing poetry, painting or taking photographs my gratification is instant.  I do these things with singular focus, I even paint in watercolors and acrylics  because I hate waiting for oils to dry. Crafting, novel writing and game creation is harder.  I have to sit and think and work at it.  So often I will put it off.  I can do that later. I will get to it after I finish editing this series of photos, get off Facebook, write this blog post (you get the idea).  I actually created this blog and specifically this day on the blog to get me off my bum and get to working on "The Quilt"  and do you know what I have done on it?  NOTHING!  I got it out, photographed it and put it away. This stops now, today....after I finish writing....

Looking for some motivation?  Check out Crimson's Blogs on Motivation:  The Motivation Files:  1, 2, and 3.  Love what I am doing and want to see more?  I am now on Patreon.

Another way to sit at the computer and look like you are doing things while you do nothing:


No comments:

Post a Comment