Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Forgotten Quilt

Have you ever started on a project and then put it away for whatever reason and forgotten about it?  I think any crafter has.  Mine is "the quilt." About 10 years ago I started working on a crazy quilt for my mother.  I worked on it consistently for about 6 months, especially on the weekends while I was at dog shows. Then it got so big it was dragging on the floor at the dog shows and picking up a lot of hair, so I stopped taking it to the shows.  My leisure activities starting involving my hands not just my eyes or ears, so I put it away.  I have moved at least 3 times since that initial put away and I have moved the quilt, in it's bag, with me each time, with the best of intentions to start on it again "once I got settled."

I found it again a couple of weeks ago.  I worked on it a little more and am going to use this space to keep you updated on it's progress, thus making myself accountable to keep working on it.  There is still a lot to do and I am not sure how I am going to finish it off at this time; but I want the feeling of accomplishment when I finally finish this.
The Quilt
Why is this going to take a while?  Because, I have been hand sewing it.  I do not actually know how to sew using a sewing machine.  I am going to finish this topper with hand sewing and then machine sew the batting and backing together and hand quilt this to that "pillow."  That's a lot of time and some money away however.  For now I need to get this topper to king sized.  I have about 5" around left to sew on.

I am hoping this is something I can work on when I am bed ridden.  The biggest problem is going to be when I am having ocular aspects of my migraines.  Losing sight in one eye is not conducive to sewing without hurting myself.

I will post monthly updates on the quilt until it is finished, so you can watch it grow and to guarantee I actually work on it!

Love what I am doing and want to see more?  I am now on Patreon. Personal appearance this weekend in the Shadoe Stones booth, at the Indy Pagan Pride Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment