Friday, October 9, 2015

Inspiration Photography...or...Wow that's pretty, now to remember why I took it...

Most often when I am inspired to take photos it involves the obvious.  Why does one take a photo of the sunset?  Because it is beautiful. The same can be said of almost any large scale "nature" photo of mine. Then there are the ones that it's not true for.






This is a random collection of some of my raw work. The one with the date on it was even taken with a different, "lesser" camera. All of these photos will, or have, become art in a different form; some you have even seen in this blog.  Every one of these was taken because it was the texture of the subject that appealed to me. Unlike a "pretty" photo I rarely had any idea at the time of taking the picture what the finished product would look like, I just knew there was something interesting here and I wanted to have a part in making it come alive.

It is rarely difficult in photography to find a subject that is interesting, pretty, or even beautiful.  The difficult part is not even having the skill to take a good, even a GREAT photo, with time and dedication it will happen. Having your camera with you, knowing that NOW is the time to get that shot, and then seeing it in the proverbial darkroom; these are the things that make an art photographer. Did you see that lead?  Having your camera with you. Not your camera phone. Not your point and shoot (while my husband's point and shoot did take one of these, so I have to watch myself there). Nope, having your CAMERA with you. Very few photographers travel without their cameras. We might miss something.

The difference between a hobby photographer and a professional photographer is, technically, simply the charging of fees. In truth, it is much more complex.  In this age of digital anyone, everyone it seems, can take a good photo-and does.  I am not even going to use the line about a GREAT photo.  Not this time. A hobbiest though, will have taken, and deleted, many more photos than a professional. The professional has learned when to take the picture (or pictures) and that deleting often loses you a shot that might have been good with some thought behind it. A professional will take 100 to every 1,000 of the hobbiest.  More of them will be good and yes, some of them will even be great (it is possible for a hobbiest to take a great photo...I know this and don't go there often).  There are "professional" photographers who are really hobbiests and there are hobbiests who only lack the equipment to be professionals.  I have seen iPhone photos that were better than some pros work; not because of bad pros, but because of amazing hobbiests.

Take the photo, sometimes it is done at that point.  Sometimes it is not.  Art is knowing when it is done, and taking the steps or not taking any steps, to get it there! Love what I am doing and want to see more?  I am now on Patreon.

No comments:

Post a Comment